Digital Group-Based Intervention for Physical Activity Promotion Among Thai Adults During the COVID-19 Lockdown: Randomized Controlled Trial.

Publication date: Jan 31, 2024

The COVID-19 pandemic significantly diminished the physical activity (PA) level of Thai adults belonging to Generation Y (Gen Y). As a response to the global crisis, many individuals worldwide have turned to social community platforms, recognizing their potential in promoting PA during the pandemic. Gen Y, in particular, demonstrates exceptional proficiency in using social media platforms, showcasing a remarkable aptitude for swiftly accessing new information and knowledge. However, their proclivity for reckless behavior exposes them to various health risks, potentially leading to enduring adverse health consequences. Consequently, there arises a pressing need to develop a comprehensive model aimed at elevating the PA levels among individuals belonging to Gen Y. This research aimed to examine the effectiveness of a digital group-based activity in promoting PA among Gen Y in Thailand. This was a parallel 2-arm randomized controlled trial with single-blind allocation to experimental and control groups and pre- and posttest measurements. Measurements were administered on the web and were designed for respondents to complete by themselves. The sample comprised 100 Gen Y individuals who met the inclusion criteria. Both groups were matched for background characteristics. The two 8-week intervention activities were (1) two weeks of education and (2) six weeks of motivation by target groups that set goals for PA together (using the Zoom meeting application), with a time limit and group consensus as to when the goal was to be achieved. The intervention activities were implemented one by one at specified intervals and delivered daily through health apps and the official LINE account. The intervention starts from August 22 to October 16, 2021. Of the 100 participants, 20 (20%) left the study, and the remaining 80 (80%) participated in the study (40 individuals each in the experimental and control groups). After participating in the experiment, a statistically significant difference in PA was found between the 2 groups (moderate to vigorous PA; 25/40, 63%; P=. 03). Participants in the intervention group collected a higher cumulative minute of moderate to vigorous PA weekly (283 minutes) than those in the control group (164 minutes), and this was statistically significant (P=. 03). For the transition to the fourth stage of behavior (ie, action), the improvement in the experimental group, after participating in the trial, was statistically significant compared to that of the control group (P=. 01). Digital group-based activity showed its effectiveness in improving the PA of Gen Y individuals in the intervention group. It created a process-based intervention activity that corresponds to the stages of behavior changes, from contemplation to action. The digital community can also connect individuals to comparable groups locally and globally. Thai Clinical Trials Registry TCTR20211101005; https://www. thaiclinicaltrials. org/show/TCTR20211101005.

Open Access PDF

Concepts Keywords
Education behavior
Pandemic collective action
Tctr20211101005 COVID-19
Thaiclinicaltrials COVID-19 pandemic
Weekly design
digital
effectiveness
model
physical activity
Thai adults
Thailand

Semantics

Type Source Name
disease IDO intervention
disease MESH COVID-19
disease VO effectiveness
drug DRUGBANK Methionine
disease VO time
disease IDO process
disease VO population
disease MESH premature deaths
disease MESH noncommunicable diseases
disease MESH hypertension
disease MESH cancer
disease MESH lifestyle
disease VO organization
disease MESH chronic diseases
disease IDO country
drug DRUGBANK Aminosalicylic Acid
drug DRUGBANK Peracetic acid
disease VO Apa
disease VO protocol
drug DRUGBANK Coenzyme A

Original Article

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)