Is 1 Day of Focused Training in Echocardiographic Assessment Using Subxiphoid-Only (EASy) Examination Enough? A Tertiary Hospital Response to the COVID-19 Crisis and the Use of the EASy Examination to Support Unit-Wide Image Acquisition.

Publication date: Mar 01, 2024

We assessed the efficacy of 1-day training in echocardiography assessment using subxiphoid-only (EASy) followed by supervised image interpretation and decision-making during patient rounds as a novel approach to scaling up the use of point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) in critically ill patients. Retrospective analysis of medical records and EASy examination images. Tertiary care academic hospital. A total of 14 adults (> 18 yr old) with COVID-19-associated respiratory failure under the care of Albany Medical Center’s surge response team from April 6-17, 2020 who received at least one EASy examination. Residents (previously novice sonographers) were trained in EASy examination using 1 day of didactic and hands-on training, followed by independent image acquisition and supervised image interpretation, identification of hemodynamic patterns, and clinical decision-making facilitated by an echocardiography-certified physician during daily rounds. We recorded the quality of resident-obtained EASy images, scanning time, and frequency with which the supervising physician had to repeat the examination or obtain additional images. A total of 63 EASy examinations were performed; average scanning time was 4. 3 minutes. Resident-obtained images were sufficient for clinical decision-making on 55 occasions (87%), in the remaining 8 (13%) the supervising physician obtained further images. EASy examination is an efficient, valuable tool under conditions of scarce resources. The educational model of 1-day training followed by supervised image interpretation and decision-making allows rapid expansion of the pool of sonographers and implementation of bedside echocardiography into routine ICU patient management.

Concepts Keywords
April Assessment
Echocardiographic Care
Efficient Day
Physician Decision
Pool Easy
Echocardiography
Examination
Image
Images
Interpretation
Making
Obtained
Physician
Supervised
Training

Semantics

Type Source Name
disease MESH COVID-19
disease MESH critically ill
disease MESH respiratory failure
disease IDO quality
disease VO time
disease VO frequency
disease VO efficient

Original Article

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)